Friday, August 24, 2012

Reaction to: SENDING A CHILD WITH AUTISM TO SUMMER CAMP


this is how i feel sometimes

I've posted three of my New York Times Summer Reading Contest submissions here, so I guess I might as well tell you how I did!

i'm looking better than ever
I was runner up with my first post. (I posted it on here, but then deleted it because I thought it was sucky.)


My second one got an honorable mention.


The fourth one WON!!!!!!! Pretty grool, I know.


**all screenshots via http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/ 

Here’s my last one. It’s pretty ehh-ish, but I felt like I needed SUM JUICE and an excuse to post. I didn’t submit it because the contest was over, but I need it for extra credit.

summer camp... in essence


derp derp de derp
This week, the blog post, “Sending a Child With Autism to Summer Camp” caught my attention. Joel Yanofsky’s thirteen year old son, Jonah has trouble fitting the “normal adolescent boy” archetype.

normal adolescent boy archetype (except he's too skinny and asian.. so i guess he's subject to hayte)
via korean students speak
 He’s on the autism spectrum, which separates him from the vast majority. At home, he technically has only one companion—crowned the “best friend” by Mr. Yanofsky—Sebastian. The two engage in activities like ruthlessly squirting one another with water guns (not that weird, considering their peaking testosterone levels) and are both on the spectrum.  However, they aren’t particularly close-knit, as you’d assume most brotherhoods/bromances/you-get-the-point’s are, if you’re like me and get all of your education on this field from the Sandlot movies. There’s a bit of a missing link, considering that they were stuck with each other by their parents egging them on and their mutual awkwardness on the battlefield (i.e. school and cliques and all that fun stuff.)

Joel’s wife and Jonah’s mother, Cynthia, decided that it was time for Jonah to toughen up—and what better way than to send him to sleep-away camp for a week?

Cynthia got her son a shadow, who’d stay at his side for a constant 24/7. She formally warned the camp of her son’s “handicap” and the two parents hoped for the best.

It turns out that this whole camp-thing was a hit.


 When Jonah was posed with the question, “Did you have a best friend?” he gleefully rattled off a long list of names.

omg look at all my frands
omg i'm so fugging popular just like jonah omg
I think it’s great that he had fun. What I don’t think is great is that it took so long for him to finally feel accepted. This world is so revolved around a pristine normalcy that everyone lives for and works for. People work out, bleach their hair, diet, read magazines and do whatever it takes to be accepted or accept themselves. 

ostracizing differences
Untitled by child of the mountains
It’s depressing that, because of this ‘perfect little world’ we’ve made for ourselves, people have to pay money and drive a good forty-five minutes to feel pure affection from their peers and embrace other peoples’ differences and challenge themselves. This isn’t taught in school, even though it’s when you’re learning the most about yourself, your peers, and the world that you’re a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment