Monday, August 27, 2012

PRETTY ON THE INSIDE

***WARNING: I AM NOT A FASHION BLOGGER BY ANY MEANS AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M DOING, BUT I’M GOING FOR A LONG RUN HERE, SO BEAR WITH ME.

Recently, I’ve been seeing quite a few *~~*~*~trendzzz~~~*~*~~ in the mainstream fashion world, as well as in the more *~~*~*~underground~~~*~*~~ blogosphere.

It seems as if, THE NINETIES ARE IN THIS SEASON. gasp.

topshop
images from topshop

h&m
images from h&m

teen vogue


 my so-called life and freaks and geeks get mentioned in teen vogue!

various blogz




I was the one in sixth grade who couldn’t keep my mouth shut about escalators and screaming at everyone who asked what a Nirvana is. (I thought I was a lot cooler than I will ever be.) All the other kids said “Shut up! Who cares?” WELL, WHO’S LAUGHING NOW?!?!?! DARN THOSE OTHER PEOPLE, DARN THEM TO HECK!

(The above mini paragraph makes me sound like the most uneducated, egotistical narcissist in the universe. I’d have to say that’s an accurate description of me.)

I feel like the idea of grunge is getting slightly distorted (ahaha I’m so punny.) It’s like skinny Tumblr models with million dollar ‘tousled’ hairstyles and acid wash denim hotpants and cropped Nirvana shirts—it ends there.

I mean, I’M SOOPER GRUNGE MYSELF, SO UHH YEAH.



But seriously, there are some other aspects I think should at least be remembered, if not HIGH-LIGHTED.














































I.F.O. by AirNyquil, bubbles unknown, Zero Day,  bugs unknown, food n' stuff, more bugs by this person, more Zero Day, cats unknown, Hole- Miss World video, collage by fxnc, explosion unknown, Courtney Love at the Phoenix Festival, Edward Scissorhands, Sonic Youth- Dirty Boots video, crazed ferret unknown, Daria, Zero Day, collage unknown, Heathers, beautiful seafoam jazzmaster unknown, next three are 'Greetings From Teenage Hell' by Petra Collins, Kurt Cobain, Kat Bjelland, kitty, Kurt Cobain, Kurt Cobain and Kim Deal,  moon, lipstick by v5mt, Nirvana, My So-Called Life, pool unknown, pizza unknown, Power Puff Girls, Hole live 1994, Smashing Pumpkins, Kurt and Kim, purrple thang by Micheal Chase

I feel like a long-haired Guitar Hero moustachey BO douche bag (no offense, guys—I love you) when I say ‘grunge.’ I mean, bands like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains make me want to crawl in a hole and die. I just don’t like the sound and the dominant MALE ENERGY that’s all sweaty and musky and (grungy.) If you asked me a month ago, I would’ve told you that I hate grunge. I still don’t particularly have positive associations with the word ‘grunge,’ but what else can I call all the images above?

One thing that’s lost in the diet pills and make-up consultations that are Topshop’s grunge line is the hardcore personality. All of the models are like, robotic. They’re all the same. It’s different when you can see the make-up artists and hairdressers slaving away to get the PERFECT grunge look. It’s so corporate and icky (gahh i hate this place gahh kill me now gahh i hate you i hate everyone.) These girls could be replaced with rubber dolls and no one would know the difference. Maybe this is just because it’s like, fashion and I don’t understand fashion, or even worse… MAINSTREAM FASHION. I guess I can’t comprehend things that are so overly simplified. I think the ‘grunge philosophy’ could be applied to things beyond clothing, make-up, and hairstyles.

It's different when people buy expensive fifty dollar flannels from Urban Outfitters and when they dig up their grandpa's old shirts. You have to be able to smell the nostalgia! (No, this is me being a hypocrite and calling out people for being posers, which I'm trying not to do.) I think the idea childhood (most likely a rocky one) and youth affects the grunge look. Everyone suffers from Peter Pan Syndrome. I mean, it's youth with a dark twist, like "ADHD kid who wouldn't stop getting into trouble" or "that girl in fourth grade who always smelled like pee." (basically Courtney's mantra)

What's missing from these pictures are the little quirks that 'real' people--as well as 'real' clothes--have about them. The hilariousness of subtle sarcasm and the recklessness it takes to smash your teeth into someone's head in a mosh pit and the agitated sweaty stiffness and numb discomfort and alienation of someone's youth. Like I said before, it's impossible to express this in a mainstream clothing line, so maybe grunge should be represented in other forms of art/media.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that grunge is supposed to be raw, thrown together, with a bit of a 'poverty' 'sleeping on other peoples' sofas'  vibe, but also with a sense of spiritual wonder and whimsy coming from the magnificent art (or just deep thoughtz or whatever) being produced/induced. This is missing from what I've seen so far, and I wish something would just speak to me as much as Angela Chase does in her little monologues and shat.

Love, me.

Part two of this post will most likely be posted sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah I totally agree with you bout the whole "oh look at me, Im grungeehh" thang. Love your blog btw. I know this sounds totally like "pluggging ma self here", but wanna check out ma blog?? :p

    Rachel
    tobyknows.blogpsot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw <3 thanks!!! i love your blog, too! you're so cute!

      Delete